What is Holistic Dental Care?
Holistic dental care is the philosophy and approach to dentistry that promotes oral health and wellness instead of just the treatment of oral disease. A holistic dental practice can become the first line of defense for preventative medicine. This is because a holistic dental practice sees the patient before they are obviously ill, periodontal diagnosis & systemic diagnosis are now intertwined, and on a yearly basis a dental hygienist spends 4 times as much quality time with the patient than their physician. Holistic Dentistry is not considered a specialty in dentistry. Dentistry practiced in this holistic manner continues to improve lives of patients.
This approach to dentistry encompasses modern science, technology and natural healing. It is sometimes called “Biological” dentistry or “Biocompatible” dentistry. Holistic dental care acknowledges and deals with the mind, body, and spirit of the patient, not just his or her “teeth”.
The basic principles of holistic dental care are:
– Comprehensive diagnosis and treatment planning
– Prevention and treatment of gum disease at its biological basis.
– Prevention and treatment of dental malocclusion and bruxism (grinding/clenching). Bite problems can lead to tension headaches, migraines and physical imbalance.
– Avoidance and elimination of toxins from dental materials (i.e. mercury, lead)
– Minimally invasive treatment through early diagnosis to preserve as much of the natural tooth structure and dentition.
– Patient education and nutrition counseling for the prevention and reversal of degenerative dental disease (tooth decay)
Holistic dental care takes a full body wellness approach towards oral health care. Holistic dental care should be minimally invasive; mercury and metal-free free; use only biocompatible composite resin or pure porcelain restorations; recommend a dental implant over the more invasive dental bridge, etc.
We have eliminated many of the known toxins from the practice environment such as mercury, lead, PVC, BPA, x-ray processing solutions, etc. We use only digital x-rays, reducing the radiation exposure 90% less than conventional x-rays. Holistic dentistry enhances the overall dental experience and treatment of the patient.
At Dr. Cheryl Billingsley’s office, we have taken the principals of holistic dental care one step further and introduced the concept “eco-friendly dentistry.” We have created an environment that is non-toxic to the patient, team, and doctor. All materials used are as eco-friendly as possible. All water is filtered and special filtration of the air is used throughout the office. Contact us today at (804) 381-6283 to make an appointment. For more information, visit http://www.richmondfamilydentistry.com